There is a lot of pressure on men to get an erection. After all, they can not fake it!! If a man desires sex but is unable to attain an adequate erection you must first look at underlying causes.
- Obesity alters your hormonal balance by lowering testosterone levels and raising estrogen levels. A healthy diet and exercise program will go a long way to helping you.
- Diabetes and Cardiovascular disease can affect the health of the blood vessels and nerves (diabetes). Eat a low carbohydrate diet (full of natural foods) and exercise regularly. Keep your blood sugars and blood pressure in control.
- Prescription medication can affect erectile dysfunction. Work on eliminating medication whenever safe and possible.
- Stress affects erections! Practice mindfulness–Yoga is a great help! Exercise regularly. Engage in fun activities on a regular basis.
- Smoking, alcohol, and other drug use can affect erections. The obvious solution is to get help and kick your habit!
- BPH–prostate enlargement can also affect erections. Medications used to treat BPH can affect it too. Saw palmetto and pygeum herbs have less of an effect.
- Low Testosterone can cause both erectile dysfunction and a low libido. Often by replacing your Testosterone to optimal levels you will regain both. Interestingly it has been shown that by optimizing your testosterone you also reduce your blood sugar, blood pressure, stress, and overall heart disease risk. Do keep in mind that the “normal” lab values for Testosterone will often miss a low Testosterone level. If you feel that you have low Testosterone symptoms (fatigue, loss of muscle mass, feeling that you passed your peak, mood swings, depression, low libido, etc) and you have “normal” Testosterone lab values, then it is best for you to seek the help of a physician specially trained in hormonal balance.
Having a healthy sex life is important to your overall well being as a man. If you are having erectile dysfunction and/or low libido there is help out there!